Creighton vs. Medical College of Georgia (MCG)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yeti19

Reaction score
title is self-explanatory; I wanted to hear opinions on which school I should choose from people who don't really know me. I would like to add that I have a dog that is like my child, and she will be in med school with me so if anyone has any tips or suggestions relating to that, I'd appreciate it!

MCG (Augusta campus) pros:

- I've lived in Georgia for most of life, so I'm familiar with the area. I have friends here, and my boyfriend is currently in GA as well (but he plans on moving elsewhere, undecided, in a year or two)

- I know a few people attending the school already and people who got in my class as well

- in-state tuition

- pass/fail, no ranking, i think AOA

MCG cons:

- I know a few people attending the school already and people who got in my class as well (listing this also as a con because I lowkey wanted a fresh start)

- I would like to live outside of GA in the future, but it seems like most students stay in state after graduating

Creighton (PHX campus) pros:

- Because I've lived in GA for so long, I really want to live in a new area

- better residency match for competitive specialties

- I had a better impression of the school during my interview; everyone was friendly and it seemed like the students were genuinely happy to be at the school

- more global health opportunities offered and encouraged by the school, which is something I'm interested in

Creighton cons:

- preclinical is honors/pass/fail, no ranking, i think AOA

- tuition is more expensive

- no family or friends nearby, and most of my circle is in the northeast or GA

- unranked (??, I know this doesn't matter as much for med schools but it bothers me slightly that there's no rank at all)

Members don't see this ad.

It seems based off the match list this year that most of the class left the state, so I wouldn't worry there too much.

Save your money- I’m guessing 200k+ before interest -that’s a year of salary. Med school will be a fresh start no matter where you go.

No reason to pay more to leave your support system. Neither of these schools really has the prestige edge either. If anything, MCG might take the edge since the Phoenix campus of Creighton is still pretty new. Matching in a different region is no longer an issue with regional and program-specific signaling. If most people stay in GA after med school, I would attribute that to the fact that we are comparing a public GA school (very IS heavy) to a private OOS school (no IS preference). If people are staying in GA, it is because they want to, not because they have to (in the vast majority of cases).

Reactions: 1 user