disciplinary action for cheating

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lovetobecomedds

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
on Fall semester I have got disciplinary action for cheating on my transcript for cheating (in community college).
I have already completed my bachelor and was taking some courses (credit course but not related to medschool prerequisite) in a community college. We had two schedule for doing an assignment and one of my friend who was in afternoon class asked me about the questions! I send him a screen shot of the morning class questions which I took and he posted them on the internet to find the answers! He got caught and the committee disciplined both of us.
Now I am applying for medical school and got in tears because of this.
My MCAT 518
GPA 3.73
My bachelor major: Industrial Engineering

Experts, do you know if I have a chance getting into a medical school ever? how should I approach this?

Members don't see this ad.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
When did this happen? Past month?
4 months ago.
I didn't post anything on the internet. A friend asked me if I can tell him the questions so he would do better with having the questions! But he posted all the questions I gave him on the internet and put both of us in trouble.
The source he has posted the question provided the email address, credit card details and everything else about him to the college and proved it wasn't me but I still got disciplined for providing him the questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yikes. Was this for a quiz? Unfortunately this is still cheating no matter how you present it. I have friends from high school that got in trouble for doing exactly what you did.

Reactions: 2 users
Yikes. Was this for a quiz? Unfortunately this is still cheating no matter how you present it. I have friends from high school that got in trouble for doing exactly what you did.
No it wasn't quiz. it was assignment which was posted on Canvas but the time for turning it in was limited so my friend wanted to have extra time doing it.
so do you think I totally killed my chance getting into medical school?

Hi everyone,
on Fall semester I have got disciplinary action for cheating on my transcript for cheating (in community college).
I have already completed my bachelor and was taking some courses (credit course but not related to medschool prerequisite) in a community college. We had two schedule for doing an assignment and one of my friend who was in afternoon class asked me about the questions! I send him a screen shot of the morning class questions which I took and he posted them on the internet to find the answers! He got caught and the committee disciplined both of us.
My MCAT 518
GPA 3.73

Experts, do you know if I have a chance getting into a medical school ever? how should I approach this?
Medical school is over for the foreseeable short term future. Maybe in 5+ years there will be enough distance from the event if you can convince the admissions committees that you have changed. To be honest, if I was on the committee reviewing your application, I'd wonder if you cheated in other courses. It sucks that you were trying to help a friend and were thrown under the bus.

Last edited:
What does the notation on your transcript say exactly? Is it permanent or temporary? Some schools limit the duration of the notations. You're still suppose to disclose something like that, but if you do and it is off, you can at least lawyer it a bit.

What does the notation on your transcript say exactly? Is it permanent or temporary? Some schools limit the duration of the notations. You're still suppose to disclose something like that, but if you do and it is off, you can at least lawyer it a bit.
I got expelled from college. permanent.
I don't know why the community college took such a sever action against me since I already had a bachelor and a clean record with a lots of research and volunteer works.
I got different scholarships every year and I am still shocked for such a sever action taken by the committee.

• Okay...
I don't know why the community college took such a sever action against me since I already had a bachelor and a clean record with a lots of research and volunteer works.
I got different scholarships every year and I am still shocked for such a sever action taken by the committee.
I wouldn't spend thousands of dollars applying any time soon. Maybe in a few years?

Ah, that was a bit of lede burying from the initial "IA on my transcript" lol. Yea an expulsion is quite serious especially if it was four months ago. I believe the common wisdom is you need not only significant time but also significant reparative actions (see: taking on a position of responsibility and excelling in it with a clean record for a good amount of time).

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users
I wouldn't spend thousands of dollars applying any time soon. Maybe in a few years?
I am already 34 years old and a non traditional student. That was my last chance to apply.
So you think there would be no way I can get into any medical school? not even dental schools?

I am already 34 years old and a non traditional student. That was my last chance to apply.
So you think there would be no way I can get into any medical school? not even dental schools?

I wouldn't say "no way", but like others mentioned - it's an uphill battle. And I'm not sure what you're alluding to but dental schools take IAs just as seriously as medical schools. In fact..... any academic program will take IAs seriously.

Dental school and PA schools are just as competitive if not more than med school.

Youre likely years out from being able to have a chance when you apply. Getting expelled is a huge deal.

• Hmm
Members don't see this ad :)
I think you're not understanding that the college's action against you likely has nothing to do with the issue of the answers getting on the internet, but rather giving your friend a head start on what sounds like an intentionally time limited assignment. The answers ending up on the internet was what led to you getting caught, but your initial action likely already broke the rules.

Edit: questions, answers, whatever, it's on the internet either way.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users
Are you kidding? You cheated pure and simple. It wasn’t the fact that your friend posted the questions on the internet, it was the fact that you gave him the questions to begin with. Just because you have a degree doesn’t mean another school will ignore an incident of cheating. Why would they?
You are going to have to put some time between this cheating and your application . You are also going to have to figure out how you can prove to ADCOMS that you have grown and learned from this IA. This might be more difficult because , as you keep saying, you have a college degree and you should know better. You also have to start owning your actions. Even if your friend hadn’t put the questions on the internet, you still cheated by giving him the questions.

• Love
I wish a surgeon takes 4K video in morning so that resident can operate on another patient in emergency.

Reactions: 1 users
Are you kidding? You cheated pure and simple. It wasn’t the fact that your friend posted the questions on the internet, it was the fact that you gave him the questions to begin with. Just because you have a degree doesn’t mean another school will ignore an incident of cheating. Why would they?
You are going to have to put some time between this cheating and your application . You are also going to have to figure out how you can prove to ADCOMS that you have grown and learned from this IA. This might be more difficult because , as you keep saying, you have a college degree and you should know better. You also have to start owning your actions. Even if your friend hadn’t put the questions on the internet, you still cheated by giving him the questions.
I gave him the question but my point is the punishment was so sever. Do you really think people who are in med school all got in with no shortcut?
I made a mistake however my opinion is it was my first time and I could just end up getting an F on the assignment.

People don't usually get expelled for a first offense like this. Especially if all you did was let him see some homework questions ahead of time. What other strikes did you already have against you?

• Love
I gave him the question but my point is the punishment was so sever. Do you really think people who are in med school all got in with no shortcut?
I made a mistake however my opinion is it was my first time and I could just end up getting an F on the assignment.
My opinion is that you have some work to do on your owning the infraction. It really doesn’t matter what I think or what you think. The College has not only given you an IA for cheating, they kicked you out. I have to admit I’ve never heard of someone being expelled .Suspended yes but expelled? That’s going to be really tough to explain. I also think you haven’t shared the whole story. And you are in your mid 30s and cheated, not your upper teens when some students cheat because they are young, inexperienced and stupid. That’s a huge difference.

Reactions: 3 users
People don't usually get expelled for a first offense like this. Especially if all you did was let him see some homework questions ahead of time. What other strikes did you already have against you?
Nothing! I am from Syria and the first day of the class this professor start talking about Syrian refugee and how I got the visa and almost 15 minutes about the civil war in Syria and whether refugees should get free education here in the US!
I am not accusing her about anything but she was kind of aggressive towards me from the day 1 for nothing.
I had nothing on my record other than being Dean list , outstanding academic record. If I had a record I could just post it here and get your opinions. There would be no consequences about posting something in SDN.

My opinion is that you have some work to do on your owning the infraction. It really doesn’t matter what I think or what you think. The College has not only given you an IA for cheating, they kicked you out. I have to admit I’ve never heard of someone being expelled .Suspended yes but expelled? That’s going to be really tough to explain. I also think you haven’t shared the whole story. And you are in your mid 30s and cheated, not your upper teens when some students cheat because they are young, inexperienced and stupid. That’s a huge difference.
That was the whole story. There is no reason for me to spend time posting here and not to share the whole story about my situation. I am an honest muslim and I do not lie. I just need expert opinion on this. I came here as a refugee to pursue a dream. I am not inexperience in life but I have never got a chance to go to university in the middle of a civil war.
Do you think there is something I could do about this? what actions would be helpful to explain the situation.

That was the whole story. There is no reason for me to spend time posting here and not to share the whole story about my situation. I am an honest muslim and I do not lie. I just need expert opinion on this. I came here as a refugee to pursue a dream. I am not inexperience in life but I have never got a chance to go to university in the middle of a civil war.
Do you think there is something I could do about this? what actions would be helpful to explain the situation.
Best advice I can give you is that if you get an interview, and they ask what happened / why your punishment was so harsh, you need a good answer for them that doesn't imply your teacher wanted to get rid of immigrants.

• Love
Best advice I can give you is that if you get an interview, and they ask what happened / why your punishment was so harsh, you need a good answer for them that doesn't imply your teacher wanted to get rid of immigrants.
Thank you
I am pretty sure that was the reason but definitely will come up with an answer.
thank you

Pretty much. You are a 34 year old who didn't know better and got himself expelled from a community college for cheating. It would be pretty hard to find any graduate school that places any value at all on ethics or judgment that would be willing to take a chance on someone like you. Probably time to move on to Plan B, assuming this whole thread isn't a troll.

If you already have a 518 / 3.7+ bachelors in engineering...why are you even taking these community college courses?

Ethical gray area but if you have the option of applying with just your bachelor transcript and pretending you never even enrolled in this community college at all, your odds of getting interviews is much better.

• Inappropriate
  • Dislike
  • Wow
Thank you
I am pretty sure that was the reason but definitely will come up with an answer.
thank you
Can you give a more detailed description of what exactly happened after you and your friend were caught? Because, like others have said, something doesn't really add up. Obviously you both cheated, but yes, a lot of schools do just fail the student for that course, put them on probation, and let them continue. Also, a teacher/professor usually doesn't have the power to expel a student--they may recommend it during disciplinary hearings or whatever, but it's ulitimately up the the Dean(s), the disciplinary comitttees, and/or the Student Handbook. Was there some sort of exchange between you and the deans/disciplinary committee after you were caught that dug you into a deeper hole or something? (Like unprofessional/insulting email exchanges, etc?)

TLDR: A 34-year old engineer expelled from a community college because of an assignment ?er shared with a friend who posted in social media to get answers and caught by processor of that assignment who seems doesn't entertain refugee immigrants of a particular faith, applied to medical schools.

Man, it feels like a twilight zone.. There is more to story:..

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
TLDR: A 34-year old engineer expelled from a community college because of an assignment ?er shared with friend who posted in social media to get answers and caught by processor of that assignment who seems doesn't entertain immigrants of a particular faith, applied to medical schools.

Man, it feels like twilight zone.. There is more to story:..
Haha thanks for the TLDR, but to clarify, I was mostly just asking if he/she could give more info about the disciplinary process/what the school said after they got caught

Haha thanks for the TLDR, but to clarify, I was mostly just asking if he/she could give more info about the disciplinary process/what the school said after they got caught
yea I hit reply your message accidently. corrected..

If you already have a 518 / 3.7+ bachelors in engineering...why are you even taking these community college courses?

Ethical gray area but if you have the option of applying with just your bachelor transcript and pretending you never even enrolled in this community college at all, your odds of getting interviews is much better.
I was taking data science courses which was funded with my company.

TLDR: A 34-year old engineer expelled from a community college because of an assignment ?er shared with friend who posted in social media to get answers and caught by processor of that assignment who seems doesn't entertain immigrants of a particular faith, applied to medical schools.

Man, it feels like a twilight zone.. There is more to story:..
I never said that was the reason, I felt like that.

I was taking data science courses which was funded with my company.
Your best bet then is probably to leave any mention of these classes out of your AMCAS and hope that your cycle proceeds as if you only had your bachelors

• Inappropriate
  • Dislike
Reactions: 4 users
Isn't there some rule that all classes from all institutions must be reported? I imagine they have someway tIo check. I definitely do not feel that lying on your applications is the best way to handle this.

Your best bet then is probably to leave any mention of these classes out of your AMCAS and hope that your cycle proceeds as if you only had your bachelors

That would be dishonest and if the situation ever came to light the applicant would be barred from applying through AMCAS and could even be kicked out of medical school, if admitted before the fraud came to light.

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
Okay, what else are you not telling us? Nobody's expelled for simply handing over a couple of questions.

• Love
Hi everyone,
My MCAT 518
GPA 3.73

I have read about what happened to you, as well as the ongoing discussion.

I presume you had an administrative hearing on this issue, right? If an administrative determination was made against you, without a formal hearing (but that would be unlikely), you should be able to challenge the final punishment. However, normally there is a period of time you have to do that.

I agree (and disagree) with what has been written, in terms of putting some time between you and the event. While we can NOT go back in time, I do wish you had realized how serious this was and immediately had an attorney acting on your behalf, to preserve medical school as that goal in the near future.

I do not know what state you are in, nor is that my kind of work. But you do have the ability to challenge the permanent suspension, exhaust all administrative remedies at the community college, and then initiate a private law suit, you could take it that far, this is VERY important...BUT your win here, would be limited. You have already had conversations with people, given your version of events, your goal would be limited to, perhaps lifting the permanent suspension, and informally, in exchange for nothing negative on your transcript, never again enrolling at the community college.

That would be the best outcome, and I am not saying you will succeed. There are a few other ways to accomplish your goal, while temporarily giving the university its lump of flesh for the infraction.

Now, I am basing what I am saying, on what you have said in the forum. Cheating requires, not carelessness or negligence, it requires a specific intent, that is something a court of law, presuming it got that far, would review. In my view, just my opinion, you DO NOT want it to get that far. Rather, you want the threat of a potential libel suit ( from what appears on your transcript) or slander lawsuit (from what is said) and a few other claims in there, because see, if the community college got it wrong, IF this happened before, or something even more drastic, BUT in those cases, a lesser or no punishment occur, well then, we start getting into other issues, potential discrimination, records that could be subpoenaed that the community college does not want out.

You need to understand, if I read correctly, you are a Syrian Refugee, and a Muslim(as am I), right? So, maybe a second chance or benefit of the doubt, maybe you get it, or maybe you run into some intolerance and have no more chances.

I think you made a mistake, whether it was one in a long line or just one, I do not know. I do know we live in a country where if you ask foreign governments to interfere in a national election, cheat and defraud thousands at a self-named university and have to pay millions, (just 2 of many endless things I could cite) there are 70 million people who be fine with still being President of The United States.

You need the threat of action, and to take this out of what Mr. X or Mrs. Y would say is cheating, and get up to that legal standard where, not being funny, criminals walk free.

Lawsuits can be very expensive. I suggest, if you can spare retaining a lawyer for 4-5 hours, a few letters, an in person meeting, might run you at least $1000-$1500 (whereas a lawsuit, the paper trail and attention it can create, you could win, and yet still lose.) I believe, an accommodation could be reached. But, a warning, you say you did not intend to cheat, was merely sharing an assignment with an classmate absent from class (who would have seen the questions had she/he been in class, and presumably could have requested or received from the professor if the absence was excused.)...who did cheat. You have to understand, presuming all you shared is spot on accurate on the facts, you need to show remorse and contrition.

I sincerely hope you will be successful. Unfortunately, and I say this with the utmost respect as a Muslim person of color: When you are a Muslim Syrian refugee and an immigrant, there are still a lot of people, unfortunately, who are waiting to see you fail, feel like you mentioning your life circumstances are a crutch, and wish you had never came to The U.S, but yet see no contradiction or injustice from people at the heights of power, who have admittedly done far worse. So, you have to be most careful, most vigilant, and most importantly, learn from your mistakes.

• Dislike
That would be the best outcome, and I am not saying you will succeed. There are a few other ways to accomplish your goal, while temporarily giving the university its lump of flesh for the infraction.

Now, I am basing what I am saying, on what you have said in the forum. Cheating requires, not carelessness or negligence, it requires a specific intent, that is something a court of law, presuming it got that far, would review. In my view, just my opinion, you DO NOT want it to get that far. Rather, you want the threat of a potential libel suit ( from what appears on your transcript) or slander lawsuit (from what is said) and a few other claims in there, because see, if the community college got it wrong, IF this happened before, or something even more drastic, BUT in those cases, a lesser or no punishment occur, well then, we start getting into other issues, potential discrimination, records that could be subpoenaed that the community college does not want out.
You need the threat of action, and to take this out of what Mr. X or Mrs. Y would say is cheating, and get up to that legal standard where, not being funny, criminals walk free.

Lawsuits can be very expensive. I suggest, if you can spare retaining a lawyer for 4-5 hours, a few letters, an in person meeting, might run you at least $1000-$1500 (whereas a lawsuit, the paper trail and attention it can create, you could win, and yet still lose.) I believe, an accommodation could be reached. But, a warning, you say you did not intend to cheat, was merely sharing an assignment with an classmate absent from class (who would have seen the questions had she/he been in class, and presumably could have requested or received from the professor if the absence was excused.)...who did cheat. You have to understand, presuming all you shared is spot on accurate on the facts, you need to show remorse and contrition.
Hold up. I'm not convinced that advising OP to threaten a higher learning institution using the courts system is the proper way to go about this. Appeal via institutional means, yes, and sue if there was discrimination involved, but don't sue just to threaten them with bad press. Their lawyers will outdo you anyways especially since, I presume, OP already admitted to sharing the questions during their original hearing.

In case it is not abundantly clear, OP:
a.) DO NOT lie on your AMCAS and fail to report that you attended this community college. You will be found out and you will be rescinded.
b.) DO NOT walk up to the community college's administration and threaten them.

We really need the full story because something is missing. Folks are not expelled for even very serious offenses let alone a cheating infraction that usually will only result in a failed class.

• Dislike
Hi everyone,
My MCAT 518
GPA 3.73

Basically no chance of admission with an IA for cheating this close to application. You need at least a couple of years of academic coursework between an IA and application for it to not be a major factor and since you have already completed a degree and this was additional coursework after, you are kind of in a bad spot. I defer to @Goro and @LizzyM for this sort of situation, as I can't see a way out of it aside from completing a MPH or something without incident afterward

I feel like there's something missing here. How do you get expelled over one instance of cheating? At least in my college, the first instance wouldn't lead to expulsion. You would have to do it multiple times or do something really crazy like try and steal the exam questions ahead of the exam date

Hold up. I'm not convinced that advising OP to threaten a higher learning institution using the courts system is the proper way to go about this. Appeal via institutional means, yes, and sue if there was discrimination involved, but don't sue just to threaten them with bad press. Their lawyers will outdo you anyways especially since, I presume, OP already admitted to sharing the questions during their original hearing.

a.) DO NOT lie on your AMCAS and fail to report that you attended this community college. You will be found out and you will be rescinded.

We really need the full story because something is missing. Folks are not expelled for even very serious offenses let alone a cheating infraction that usually will only result in a failed class.
I did not suggest threatening anyone, and I no reasonable interpretation of what I wrote supports youmisinterpretationor misconstruction of what I write. Perhaps you do not like what I wrote, that is your prerogative, and does not bother me. But any points you are trying to make are weakened by purposefully making up things I never said, including walking up to and threatening anyone. I am happy to discuss or disagree over legal strategy, and experience,, however.

What I said, was presuming the facts(for it is the facts, which drive how legal actions turn) are correct, there is no way, legally, what happened is going to be cheating to merit a permanent suspension. What I said was that if others were treated differently for the same or worse, then that would raise the onus of discrimination, that is the classical definition.

People, under threat of a speeding ticket, drive ths speed limit, for example. Why do people comport, those who do, their conduct, to various laws? Are we not under threat of loss of liberty, property, fines for not doing search? Is that the same as as police officer walking up to you and threatening you, no it is not. Each person is afforded, under The U.S. Constitution Due Process, and that includes to right to judicial review and to argue for the extension, modification or reversal of existing law. And education, has been long held to be one of those rights.

Last edited:
  • Okay...

And perhaps you have never practiced law before, which makes your misunderstanding understandable.

That would be dishonest and if the situation ever came to light the applicant would be barred from applying through AMCAS and could even be kicked out of medical school, if admitted before the fraud came to light.
I'm surprised that you, of all people, would be advising somebody to be dishonest on an application.
Oh I'm not condoning it. It's just the only path I see for OP to reach medical school. Nobody is going to interview someone who is upfront about expulsion from a college for academic dishonesty.

I did not suggest threatening anyone, and I no reasonable interpretation of what I wrote supports youmisinterpretationor misconstruction of what I write. Perhaps you do not like what I wrote, that is your prerogative, and does not bother me. But any points you are trying to make are weakened by purposefully making up things I never said, including walking up to and threatening anyone. I am happy to discuss or disagree over legal strategy, and experience,, however.

What I said, was presuming the facts(for it is the facts, which drive how legal actions turn) are correct, there is no way, legally, what happened is going to be cheating to merit a permanent suspension. What I said was that if others were treated differently for the same or worse, then that would raise the onus of discrimination, that is the classical definition.

People, under threat of a speeding ticket, drive ths speed limit, for example. Why do people comport, those who do, their conduct, to various laws? Are we not under threat of loss of liberty, property, fines for not doing search? Is that the same as as police officer walking up to you and threatening you, no it is not. Each person is afforded, under The U.S. Constitution Due Process, and that includes to right to judicial review and to argue for the extension, modification or reversal of existing law. And education, has been long held to be one of those rights.
And perhaps you have never practiced law before, which makes your misunderstanding understandable.
Quite the contrary - I have extensive experience working with the law school attached to my institution. I'm surprised you would baselessly attack someone like that especially since, from what you're saying here, I presume you yourself have practiced law before?

The fact is that we don't know what happened and we can't tell OP to go sue them without knowing the whole story first (any good lawyer will want that story first before providing advice!) It is extraordinarily irregular for a college to expel a student for a single cheating incident - especially one that is like this where the student themself doesn't materially benefit from the cheating. A significant part of this story is missing.

You are quite correct that due process applies to a public institution like a community college. You are also correct that if OP was treated differently because they are Muslim, then that is also a case for discrimination. However, the cautious evidence-based approach in what you just stated above is very different from your first post. Your initial post undeniably advocates for OP to use a lawsuit as a tool to force the college into submission. Here are direct quotes. I selected the important phrases.

BUT your win here, would be limited...your goal would be limited to, perhaps lifting the permanent suspension, and informally, in exchange for nothing negative on your transcript, never again enrolling at the community college.

...There are a few other ways to accomplish your goal, while temporarily giving the university its lump of flesh for the infraction.

...Cheating requires, not carelessness or negligence, it requires a specific intent, that is something a court of law, presuming it got that far, would review. In my view, just my opinion, you DO NOT want it to get that far. Rather, you want the threat of a potential libel suit ( from what appears on your transcript) or slander lawsuit (from what is said) ... well then, we start getting into other issues, potential discrimination, records that could be subpoenaed that the community college does not want out.

...You need the threat of action

There is no possible way to misconstrue what you are saying. You told OP directly that their end goal is not to get a legal decision ("you DO NOT want it to get that far") but rather to use "the threat of a potential libel suit" to get this removed from their record. Quid pro quo. If there was discrimination, sue them to the ground. Don't wave around threats. That'll get you in even more trouble and is unbelievably terrible advice.

Regardless, as it stands, the advice is the same. OP is DOA for medical schools with this on their record.

Reactions: 7 users

A new premed on SDN definitely has sound legal advice to give, especially on initiating a lawsuit against a community college system that has dead to rights evidence against the OP on cheating. Good luck finding an actual reputable lawyer who won't take up your case to chalk up an easy hourly.

Pretty sure OP is trolling (come on, the classic IA question combined with Syrian refuge status/"my teacher hated me because I'm an immigrant"?), but in the off-chance they aren't, how can the OP possibly reasonably come back from this? How do you show you learned (blatant) cheating is wrong from your mid 30s?

• Angry
Reactions: 3 users
I agree it’s severe and I believe you that you’re telling us everything. Like you said, why would you lie? I also believe your prof could very well be anti-Syrian or anti immigrant. Even though it’s unfair, if you want a shot at med school, you have to be able to take accountability for it. And like others are saying it will likely take ~5 years to show adcoms you’re “not the same person you were as when you cheated”. It works against you that you’re older and should have known better.

Also, I had a worse IA but applied a decade after it occurred. There is hope, maybe, but you need time to learn to express that you know it was not right to share the answers instead of focusing on why it wasn’t unfair to you. Ultimately you still got caught doing something against the rules. Best of luck.

Oh I'm not condoning it. It's just the only path I see for OP to reach medical school. Nobody is going to interview someone who is upfront about expulsion from a college for academic dishonesty.
The only problem is, it's not really a path. My understanding is that there is a central clearinghouse into which most schools report all post-secondary school (college and beyond) academic work. I don't know whether this is checked during AMCAS verification or during pre-matriculation due diligence, but it certainly is checked at some point between primary and matriculation. And, if someone might claim they didn't think it was necessary to report a CC post-bacc non-degree non-prereq class, nobody is going to believe that with respect to an IA expulsion for cheating, so it's really a non-starter, unless you knew for a fact that the school doesn't report into the clearinghouse.

Once again, for the record, the whole story seems so fantastic that I am having a hard time believing it's not a troll. And I say this while acknowledging OP seems legit based on his post history.

I agree it’s severe and I believe you that you’re telling us everything. Like you said, why would you lie? I also believe your prof could very well be anti-Syrian or anti immigrant. Even though it’s unfair, if you want a shot at med school, you have to be able to take accountability for it. And like others are saying it will likely take ~5 years to show adcoms you’re “not the same person you were as when you cheated”. It works against you that you’re older and should have known better.

Also, I had a worse IA but applied a decade after it occurred. There is hope, maybe, but you need time to learn to express that you know it was not right to share the answers instead of focusing on why it wasn’t unfair to you. Ultimately you still got caught doing something against the rules. Best of luck.
Were you expelled for cheating? What's worse than that? Manslaughter?

It appears that no good can come from further discussion.
For the record, we do not recommend submitting a false AMCAS attestation regarding a full submission of all grades and schools attended.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Status
Not open for further replies.