How can I improve my app?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reaction score
Hello,

Not sure where to post this, but I was wondering if I could get criticism on my applications to improve my odds for t10 when I apply in next years cycles. Any advice would be appreciated. I moved to this country a few years ago, and while fortunate for my resources, have no idea what qualifies a good applicant. Also, english is not my first language, so apologies for any grammatical errors in advance.

Some info about me:

IL Resident, attending t10 in Midwest , Asian, not FLI

Base Stats:
- BS Stem Degree, 3.90/3.89 cGPA/BCPM gpa
- 524 MCAT

Medical Experience:
- 250 ortho / er generic pt floor volunteering
- 1250 hours as opthamology technician (standard patient intake, HPI, imaging, PA, refills, helping with procedures, etc. Also improved practice operations and train other staff members).
- 150 hours shadowing (cardiothoracic surgeons, PICU, neuro, neurosurgery, endocrinologist, Heme-Onc)

Volunteering:
- 250 hours - work as a volunteer mentor at a center for child survivors of domestic abuse / sexual violence. Basically work in a care team of physicians, teachers, case works, social workers, etc. to implement therapeutic practices to help rehabilitation of 1 child. I spend about 4 hours with him weekly, strong narrative here.
- 1300 hours - leader for a nonprofit. Conduct outreach and grantwriting to secure funding / for nonprofit. Nonprofit targets stem education to underserved children in Chicago. Ive raised 70k in nondilutive funding, and increased yearly revenue by 50k. Plus some other things to improve strategy and operations.

Research:
- Biomaterials Lab (1600 hours). Work on developing biomaterials to protect personel in space. Developed a new method to produce biomaterial, optimized old method, created a set up to evaluation radiation shielding, improved purification process, etc. Won a national conference, ranked t50 at an international conference (impact factors unknown). 2 lit reviews, 1 conference proceedings. Currently working on primary authorship, but I don't know if I have it in me to finish. Research being used to pursue a $500k plan with NASA.

- Drug Discovery Lab (1000 hours): Developing a drug/delivery mechanism for lung cancer. Honestly, pretty garbage productivity. Worked on a few studies here or there, but mainly just helping post doc with random projects and then doing cell culture/efficacy studies. Do some synthesis work as well. Got assigned a project, but it's been tricky getting it off the ground. No pubs.

- Ophthalmology research at clinic (200 hours): Wrote code to analyze changes in visual defects post cataract surgery. No pubs, just conference proceedings.

- Lit reviews (50 hours): Random lit reviews on misc topics relevant to transplant and ML for neurosurgery.

Random:
- President of entrepreneurship club (250 hours): standard club duties, epxanded enrollment, launched two new ventures, etc.
- VP of Medical Technology club (250 hours): Standard outreach, organize networking events, etc.
- Advising Fellow (500): Mentor FLI high schoolers and help them match to top colleges.
- TA for Leadership / Entrepreneurship course
- TA for Organic Chem and Physics
- Club Tennis Team
- Have a startup which has won 2 business plan competitions and raised $25k in non dilutive funding. Currently interviewing for top incubators right now.
- Haven't done this yet but in spring I will be working for a strategy consulting company for a year or so until med school begins. They specialize in life sciences / healthcare.

Members don't see this ad.

good luck deciding which school you want to go to, you're gonna have plenty of options! i really can't think of anything to improve, Presidential Medal of Honor maybe, seriously, you will be more than fine.

Reactions: 1 user
OP, should I presume you have a green card or US citizenship?
I have citizenship. I was born in the states, but moved to my home country for a while due to my parents work.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.