plaster impression

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gabriela bel

Reaction score
Hey, I’m a dental student and I would like to know how I could make my plaster impression come out without bubbles, please.

Members don't see this ad.

Picture0001.jpg

I am going to assume you meant model (cast) rather than impression. If you have access to a Whip Mix vacuum mixing machine that is the way to mix your stone without incorporating air into the mix. If not, there are debubblizer (sp?) solutions that can be added to the stone to minimize air bubbles. Beading and boxing your impression with a slow deliberate pour helps.

Now if you are asking for technique, as in pouring impressions without gross air bubbles, that is a lot less involved. Mix your stone to the consistency of whipped cream. Use a small spatula (wax) to fill in the teeth, then use a larger spatula to fill in the soft tissue area. Use the vibrator incrementally rather than continuously. Just enough to get the stone to flow into the desired area. Over fill the impression and invert onto a stone patty or the counter and allow to set (depends on what the model is being used for or what your instructor requires).

Last edited:
Hey, I’m a dental student and I would like to know how I could make my plaster impression come out without bubbles, please.
When mixing the stone, take your time. Mix the stone until it’s smooth, use the walls of the mixing bowl to help remove any bubbles. I do not place the mixing bowl onto the vibrator until my mixture looks like a creamy batter. When I place it onto the vibrator I usually have very small air bubbles that I am able to vibrate out. Then I start to pour out my models.

Best tip I can give, place cold water first. Add stone and hand mix. I find the longer hand mixing and a smooth consistency always works best. Also, there is a thing called debubblizer spray which can be sprayed into the impression before adding the mixed stone.