projected vs actual research project

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cvspopcorn

Reaction score
apologies in advance if this is a super neurotic(TM) question, but I'm in a bit of a niche situation and was hoping for some insight. as this year's app let you put down activities you were doing that you hadn't started yet, i put down a lab i'd be conducting research with this summer (don't worry, not my only research experience!) and at the time of the primary, i was supposed to be involved in a specific project. i started the experience after submitting my primary, and a few days after getting there, i moved to another research project (within the same lab) because my PI and i realized it fit my long-term research goals better, but this project is different than the one i described in my primary w+a.

how should i go about addressing this situation? should i let schools know in the "anything else" section in the secondaries, or should i not bother + explain it when I'm asked in an interview? (the "caliber" of the projects is more or less the same; i'd be doing the same things regardless, so i hope it won't come across as deliberately putting down wrong information).

also, in general, would this look bad to adcoms?

@Goro @LizzyM @KnightDoc @gonnif @ anyone else who might be able to weigh in :)

thanks in advance for your insight!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Yes -- super neurotic! :)

AMCAS added this new format for just this reason. Things change. By clearly labeling this as a projected activity that did not yet begin, you identified it as something subject to change. It will not look bad, and the change is not really what schools are looking for in the "anything else?" section. This is a perfect subject for a future update, or, as you suggested, a topic to discuss in an interview.

Please just relax. This happens so frequently that AMCAS actually changed the format of the primary to accommodate it. You're good!!

Reactions: 1 users
You don’t address the situation. ADCOMS consider projected as projected. You aren’t tied to anyone program. Projected on your app actually means might get done but might not.
Good luck.

Reactions: 1 users