Updated: UWSOM vs MCASOM AZ

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MysticMinion

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just got off the waitlist at Mayo and now I’m faced with this tough decision! Equally ranked schools and I’m split. Any input is appreciated. Currently interested in radiology or internal medicine subspecialties. I have one week to make a decision!

UW pros:
  • family lives near seattle
  • partner is going to UWSOM this year as well
  • In general have a great support system here
  • I went to UW for undergrad
  • I live in Seattle and I have a pre lease signed for this upcoming fall
  • was accepted early in the cycle, and really felt supported by the staff from the get go
  • pass fail all 4 yrs
  • I created an outreach program at UW that I could continue if i stayed
  • I have had time to explore the program, know a few current MS1s who have given me a good idea of what to expect
  • I come from a rural area and appreciate that UW caters to rural medicine

UW Cons:
  • big school feel even though the Seattle cohort is only 100 people
  • no medical insurance
  • rotations span across all of WWAMI, I don’t know what to expect and would love to hear any positive experiences because I’ve heard some negative (also do many students get to stay near seattle for rotations if they arent on the seattle track?)
  • high cost of living
  • gloomy weather

Mayo pros:
  • get the opportunity to move somewhere new
  • seems to have an overall more competitive match list
  • small class
  • I will have some family in the state but more distant
  • sunshine!

Mayo cons:
  • I got in off the waitlist, have little time to decide and have not been able to attend 2nd looks or revisit days like i did for UW so i feel less informed about the program
  • less support system
  • have to do long distance with my partner
  • have to change gears and move relatively quickly
  • less exposure to various patient populations

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey there! I am planning on attending MCASOM AZ, feel free to DM me if you have any questions or want to talk about it at all! Would love to see you there!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
How are mayo's rotations? It seems like you're overall gonna be happier at UW compared to its peer institution.

Is there a price difference? I assume you’ll get in-state tuition at UW, making it quite a bit cheaper, no?

Is there a price difference? I assume you’ll get in-state tuition at UW, making it quite a bit cheaper, no?
UW with financial aid comes out to just over $50k a year

Mayo w/o any financial aid info is currently at $64k a year

Hoping there won't be a significant price difference between the two once financial aid is fully in the picture.

While I agree that Mayo may have a slight edge with the name recognition and better match list, I think UW is the better choice because at the end of the day, it's near your support system, slightly cheaper (as of now), and it's still a really great school. I will also add that Mayo-AZ is not as prestigious as the MN campus, which may actually give UW the edge on that front as well.

While I agree that Mayo may have a slight edge with the name recognition and better match list, I think UW is the better choice because at the end of the day, it's near your support system, slightly cheaper (as of now), and it's still a really great school. I will also add that Mayo-AZ is not as prestigious as the MN campus, which may actually give UW the edge on that front as well.
I almost became your classmate at Wake. I even got my apartment up the street from the campus, but got the call from another school closer to home. I lost my deposit. LOL. Are you headed to San Diego, Michigan, or Minnesota to start your training?

Mayo updated me with a financial aid offer and I was wondering if you (or anyone!) think it should change anything significantly in my thinking.

Currently UW @ $50k per year
Mayo w financial aid @ $40k a year

My thinking currently. I was all set on UW and I really do value my support system here however, I'm worried about turning down the generous scholarship Mayo gave me. To add context earlier in the cycle I was more sure that Mayo would be my "top choice" however now I'm more conflicted. I should also mention I'm a bit over Seattle and it's dreary weather.

Mayo updated me with a financial aid offer and I was wondering if you (or anyone!) think it should change anything significantly in my thinking.

Currently UW @ $50k per year
Mayo w financial aid @ $40k a year

My thinking currently. I was all set on UW and I really do value my support system here however, I'm worried about turning down the generous scholarship Mayo gave me. To add context earlier in the cycle I was more sure that Mayo would be my "top choice" however now I'm more conflicted. I should also mention I'm a bit over Seattle and it's dreary weather.
Well that certainly changes things. Now it's kind of a personal choice. Money or family/support? No one can answer that except you. I would still consider prestige somewhat equal. I will still say that it isn't a lot of money, and personally, being near my support system would be worth $10k/year.

I almost became your classmate at Wake. I even got my apartment up the street from the campus, but got the call from another school closer to home. I lost my deposit. LOL. Are you headed to San Diego, Michigan, or Minnesota to start your training?
I'll PM you!