2023-2024 UC San Diego

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
TTYL… see y’all next week 🥲

Members don't see this ad.

• Sad
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users
I really can’t make heads or tails of that waitlist update email.

Reactions: 4 users
if the class is full, how is it possible for WL movement to ever happen?

Members don't see this ad :)
That’s exactly my worry. But if the CTE deadline hasn’t passed, there may be some people who would leave for a different school if they get off their waitlist.

Reactions: 2 users
What does the last paragraph mean I'm so confused

Reactions: 1 users
How does this email compare with previous years? Did they make any waitlist offers this year? The FB group and GroupMe member numbers have only gone down since May 1 😟

Last edited:
so the only chance of any WL movement is if someone on another WL and is enrolled at UCSD commits to the other school? That doesn’t seem in like with the >30 people getting off

so the only chance of any WL movement is if someone on another WL and is enrolled at UCSD commits to the other school? That doesn’t seem in like with the >30 people getting off
It seems like there is going to be very little, if any, waitlist movement this year. I would imagine it is because of the great financial aid that was offered this year as other posters have mentioned. UCSD (and every medical school) will accept more than their class, but if there is a great financial incentive, more accepted students may be committing or holding onto their acceptance than we have seen in previous years. So in effect, UCSD may not need to pull from their waitlist for another 30 students.

For those accepted that have not committed just yet, they also have until 6/24 to decide, so I think the earliest we could maybe see movement is June when other CTE dates typically are as well.

The FB group went down 9 members in the last few weeks. But even with the decrease, I’m assuming they probably over-admitted and won’t use the WL much this year. Pretty bummed :/

This is so frustrating… especially in the news of the CTE deadline extension. Like why did this year have to be different for WL movement:/

This is so frustrating… especially in the news of the CTE deadline extension. Like why did this year have to be different for WL movement:/
Yeah it really sucks, I imagine other school also extended their CTE deadlines, so I am sure that also does not help for all us WL people :/

i wish they said when we could even expect to hear back? or about how much movement we can expect now

Reactions: 1 user
i wish they said when we could even expect to hear back? or about how much movement we can expect now

Didn't the email say exactly this (assuming its the same one they sent in years past, which it sounds like it is)? That movement is pretty unlikely at the moment and that they will reach out to someone same day if someone ends up withdrawing from the class or is granted a deferral? They can't predict when someone is going to withdraw.

Members don't see this ad :)
Didn't the email say exactly this (assuming its the same one they sent in years past, which it sounds like it is)? That movement is pretty unlikely at the moment and that they will reach out to someone same day if someone ends up withdrawing from the class or is granted a deferral? They can't predict when someone is going to withdraw.

so is this email standard, then? do they always say that the class is full (or at least did last year)?

so is this email standard, then? do they always say that the class is full (or at least did last year)?

I just saw the email that got sent out this year from someone on the WL currently, looks like its similar to the one I got last year, except missing a few paragraphs, since last year the email was sent out after the CTE.

If you can, just wait it out and see what happens

Couldn't they in theory tell us the percent of the accepted class that has officially CTE and how many are currently PTE? I think that would at least give a better idea of movement, if any.

Couldn't they in theory tell us the percent of the accepted class that has officially CTE and how many are currently PTE? I think that would at least give a better idea of movement, if any.
Yeah in theory, I feel like they are intentionally not being transparent probably because they over accepted and seriously have no idea how much they will be pulling from the WL 😅

Yeah in theory, I feel like they are intentionally not being transparent probably because they over accepted and seriously have no idea how much they will be pulling from the WL 😅

it seems that this is an “automated letter,” though, in that they sent the same one last year.

it seems that this is an “automated letter,” though, in that they sent the same one last year.
Yeah, and since they are sending it now and there has been no reported WL movement, this makes me think they are giving us a basic answer that is inherently not transparent because they simply don’t know yet who will CTE if they over accepted and the class is already full

Yeah, and since they are sending it now and there has been no reported WL movement, this makes me think they are giving us a basic answer that is inherently not transparent because they simply don’t know yet who will CTE if they over accepted and the class is already full
but basically if the class is already full, doesn't that mean that they won't pull anyone from the waitlist? i'm confused haha

but basically if the class is already full, doesn't that mean that they won't pull anyone from the waitlist? i'm confused haha
They can if enough accepted students get pulled off a waitlist elsewhere and rescind their acceptances to UCSD (which is the typical trickle down we would see), but I think the idea here is that it seems pretty unlikely because as you mentioned and as we were told—the class is already full. :(

We also know financial aid was great this year so I imagine people with an A to UCSD are going to hold on unless they get an offer from the WL at a dream school and even then they may still choose UCSD due to the financial savings

We don’t know when or who is going to withdraw their A and pulling from the WL is entirely dependent on how many accepted students commit or withdraw…and even then they probably over accepted which means more people have to withdraw before they even start to possibly pull from the WL.

• Sad
GG yall, it's been a pleasure waiting. I imagine they'll pull like five people but the email was definitely a nod for us to move on.

• Sad
Reactions: 5 users
kindof wish they would have been more direct instead of this whishy washy stuff cause still wanna hold onto that sliver of hope :/

“At this point our class is full” = we have enough people CTE’d and PTE’d to fill our class. Whether the class is full just from CTE, we don’t know. I think they are keeping the WL options just in case something happens to their final CTE. If this is your only hope, I’d just wait it out.

So confused why people are saying the "financial aid was good this year". What are yall basing that off of?? UCSD doesn't release how much merit scholarship money or need-based grants they give out.

So confused why people are saying the "financial aid was good this year". What are yall basing that off of?? UCSD doesn't release how much merit scholarship money or need-based grants they give out.
Assuming that it’s based off of personal anecdotes. I do know a couple of students who were also admitted that got very, very good packages. But not everyone got “good” financial aid this year. For me personally, UCSD was the only one of my acceptances that gave me absolutely nothing for financial aid.

Reactions: 5 users
Well...this chapter is closed.
On to the next app cycle.
TY for the fellowship.

When is UCSD’s official CTE date? Also when is their first day of class?
According to other posts UCSD pushed their CTE deadline to June 24 this year (in the past it looks like first week of June usually)

From what I have seen on the website classes don’t start till the
Day after Labor Day I believe

Previously, has there been a flurry of acceptances after their CTE deadline?

None reported on SDN after the email we got last cycle. It's just so unlikely since at that point the spots come from either someone getting a deferral accepted or someone deciding med school isn't what they want anymore, both of which are on the more unlikely side

For those of us still praying for that WL movement, let’s keep in mind that all these delays this year have never happened before so anything could potentially happen come June… Just trying to look at the glass half full :)

For those of us still praying for that WL movement, let’s keep in mind that all these delays this year have never happened before so anything could potentially happen come June… Just trying to look at the glass half full :)

there almost certainly has to be some movement. maybe not the typical 30 but certainly some.

there almost certainly has to be some movement. maybe not the typical 30 but certainly some.
This is a stretch but, do you think they’ll still pull someone off the waitlist even though they’re full? Just so they can say they have used the waitlist for future students waitlisted? idk if what im saying makes sense but if people found out they didn’t use the waitlist this year would it make them look bad?

This is a stretch but, do you think they’ll still pull someone off the waitlist even though they’re full? Just so they can say they have used the waitlist for future students waitlisted? idk if what im saying makes sense but if people found out they didn’t use the waitlist this year would it make them look bad?
I don't know how that works obviously just like you, but I really don't think they would care? I mean I don't think any of the waitlist language we received said that they would for sure pull students from the waitlist so it's not like they market the waitlist. idk if that makes sense haha, I really hope at least some of us get pulled but yeah i don't think they would pull people just to say they used their waitlist :/

Another thought, I don’t think they have over admitted right now because if all those people said yes then they would have to big of a class. So likely (hopefully) they just waiting to see what the PTE people do and then from there we have WL movement though that might be very limited

Is anyone else in a similar boat where you want to start planning for another school (AKA like signing a lease) but don’t want to lock in completely because of this WL. Getting stuck trying to break a lease seems awful.

Is anyone else in a similar boat where you want to start planning for another school (AKA like signing a lease) but don’t want to lock in completely because of this WL. Getting stuck trying to break a lease seems awful.
me except replace 'another school' with 'life' (this is my only WL :| )

• Care
yes :( my other option is a med school with a CTE deadline of July 1. I want ucsd so bad but I’m not willing to give up my spot at another med school just for the possibility of hearing back from San Diego ://

Also, not sure if this will be helpful to anyone but I know multiple people who have been on the waitlist for UCSD in previous years and they said that the school doesn't even notify you if you get rejected. So you might be waiting for a response for a long time ://

Also, not sure if this will be helpful to anyone but I know multiple people who have been on the waitlist for UCSD in previous years and they said that the school doesn't even notify you if you get rejected. So you might be waiting for a response for a long time ://
Wait do you mean rejected after interview or just after being on WL for a long time they never send like a sorry movement is officially over email, I’d just assume it’s a no once school actually starts haha

Last edited:
Wait do you mean rejected after interview or just after being on WL for a long time they never send like a sorry movement is officially over email, I’d just assume it’s a no once school actually starts haha
i meant once they are waitlisted!

i meant once they are waitlisted!
Wouldn't be surprised.
Yet to hear back one way or another from 15 schools. R, WL..nothing.
If secondaries didn't cost us any money then Ok.
But some communication, even if it is a Rejection, would be the right thing to do.
Just venting on this whole ****ty process.

That’s standard for most med schools. They notify WL applicants once the semester has started and they have ensured they have a full class