Comparing Call Schedules

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

turkleton

Capeless Crusader
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just matched at UMich, very excited until I saw (threw the paper god knows where after interviewing) their call schedule. q4 overnight for 8 months- general medical wards/CCU/ICU/heme onc- intern year. What are the other big name programs looking like for you guys?

Members don't see this ad.

Matched to Duke, haven't looked into it in detail yet but I think it's similar. We have 3 ambulatory months intern year, a month of vacation, and the other 8 months are Q4 overnight (as far as I understand, not totally sure about all the subspecialty months and I think ICU months are Q3 overnight if I recall correctly). I think that's pretty standard for top IM programs.

q6 overnight with late start at Mayo for 8 months (I think).
Welcome to the jungle!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, about 8 months of call rotations is the norm.

At MGH, it is:

Wards - 6.5 mo, Q4
ICU - 1.0 mo, Q3
ED - 1.0 mo, Q?
Ambulatory - 1.5 mo, no call
Elective - 1.0 mo

I didn't realize how "chill" UC Davis was compared to my own med school (UCSD)! I love it...

Wards - 6 blk, Q5
MICU and CCU- 2 blk, Q4?
Heme/Onc - 1 blk
ER/NF - 1 blk
Amb Care - 2 blk

(1 block = 4 wks)

Matched to Duke, haven't looked into it in detail yet but I think it's similar. We have 3 ambulatory months intern year, a month of vacation, and the other 8 months are Q4 overnight (as far as I understand, not totally sure about all the subspecialty months and I think ICU months are Q3 overnight if I recall correctly). I think that's pretty standard for top IM programs.

Duke is q4 for most of intern year, with the heme-onc month being q5. While it's q4 on VA gen med there's one weekend where you skip a call, so at one point you're about q8 for a stretch. In the CCU you're still q4, although the residents are q3 in the units (so there's no q3 as an intern). Plus, as you mentioned, you get 3 ambulatory rotations and a month total of vacation. And if you get a non-call consult month instead of a call rotation, you may only have 7 months of call. But it's typically 8 months, as you mentioned. The incoming intern class is supposedly going to have a few weeks in the MICU at Durham Regional Hospital, which is a new rotation for interns, so I'm not sure if that'll be q3. I'm also not sure what it's taking the place of.

7-9 months of call is pretty standard from what I saw on the interview trail, and having been through almost 9 of my rotations, I can assure you that it's much more manageable than I expected! Also, I've NEVER gone over my 80-hour average; Duke is phenomenal about making sure that we adhere to the duty hour rules. 80hrs per week is pretty doable, since you always get a day off per week, on average, and you have vacations and non-call months scattered throughout to help you maintain your sanity.

Here's the Duke breakdown:

-Ambulatory - 3 months, broken up into 3 blocks (no call)
-Heme/Onc - 1 month
-Cardiology - 1 month
-Pulmonary - 1 month
-Renal - 1 month
-CCU - 1 month
-Gen Med - 4 months, broken up into 4 blocks; typically 2 of these are at Duke and 2 at the VA, although some do a month at Durham Regional Hospital (Duke-owned community hospital)
-Neurology or consult month - may replace one of the above (not everyone does both pulm and renal, as you're cross-covering both services overnight)
-Vacation - block of 2 weeks, block of 1 week, and 1 week at Christmas or New Years; often you'll vacation is during an ambulatory block, which is why the total of the above is about 13 months instead of 12.

I didn't realize how "chill" UC Davis was compared to my own med school (UCSD)! I love it...

Wards - 6 blk, Q5
MICU and CCU- 2 blk, Q4?
Heme/Onc - 1 blk
ER/NF - 1 blk
Amb Care - 2 blk

you could look at it as being "chill", but you have a block of night float, and so i think it's a trade off rather than getting lucky...it seems as though the programs with several blocks of q4 don't have a night float block, whereas the programs with a lot of q5-6 blocks also have a month of night float in their schedule. in the end it all equals out to us having to spend the same amount of time in the hospital anyway. i'm in a program that has a lot of q4 months (and no NF) and believe me, i'm not looking forward to that, but a month of night float isn't something i'd be looking forward to either. internship is going to be rough for us all, so with all due respect i wouldn't count on your life being "chill" next year.

Harbor-UCLA IM has 5 blocks of medicine wards at Q5, plus a CCU block, a MICU block, an inpatient neuro block, 2 ambulatory blocks, an ER block, and an elective. Medicine wards are Long (5 admits), post, short (2), short (2), and pre. It's a lot closer to the beach than any of your hospitals, though!

Penn

Intern Year:
- 4 wks vacation
- 2 months ambulatory -> no call
- on average one month q3 (ICU and one of our CCU's)
- 7-8 months q4 (General Wards, Liquid/Solid Onc, CCU)

So overall, 9 months of overnight call, 2 months of less than 30hrs/wk ambulatory and 4 weeks vacation. Entire schedule, including days off, known for the entire year (on q4 rotations, only get weekend days off, on q3 the day of is the 6th day in the call schedule).

um, that's a normal call internal medicine call schedule, top notch program or not. hospitals need slaves, period.

I still consider it "chill" relative to my own medical school! I plan to work hard and I am not naive enough to think that it will be easy by anyone's standards. ;) I do, however, believe my life will be a little more bearable than people in certain (unnamed) residency programs.

I am one of those oddballs that looks forward to night float, but UC Davis will place us in either the ER or on night float during our first year. We'll see what happens in a few months....

What's your program's schedule like for first year?

you could look at it as being "chill", but you have a block of night float, and so i think it's a trade off rather than getting lucky...it seems as though the programs with several blocks of q4 don't have a night float block, whereas the programs with a lot of q5-6 blocks also have a month of night float in their schedule. in the end it all equals out to us having to spend the same amount of time in the hospital anyway. i'm in a program that has a lot of q4 months (and no NF) and believe me, i'm not looking forward to that, but a month of night float isn't something i'd be looking forward to either. internship is going to be rough for us all, so with all due respect i wouldn't count on your life being "chill" next year.