ERAS PHOTO download then REJECTION!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JINX

MS IV
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So what happened to the ERAS quidelines/policy in reference to not being able to download photographs until they select the applicant for an interview? I have received some interview notices, but today I received my first rejection. The problem is that they downloaded my photo and rejected me.........*%@(# I didn't think that my photo was that bad!!! ahhaaha

Does anyone know if programs can download applicants photographs without interviewing them???

Just curious. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

JINX said:
Does anyone know if programs can download applicants photographs without interviewing them???

Apparently so.

JINX said:
So what happened to the ERAS quidelines/policy in reference to not being able to download photographs until they select the applicant for an interview? I have received some interview notices, but today I received my first rejection. The problem is that they downloaded my photo and rejected me.........*%@(# I didn't think that my photo was that bad!!! ahhaaha

Just curious. Thanks.

how do you know that that's what happened?

Members don't see this ad :)
JINX said:

Just curious. Thanks.

how do you know that that's what happened? too bad though - but it's their loss..

This also happened to me and I was also told by our ERAS lady at school that if a program downloads your picture an interview is on its way... and then I got a rejection from one program that had my picture. So, now I am not so sure and also dissapointed after seeing how many pictures I have had downloaded...
Where did you have this info from? I thought our school student affairs office was reputable, but I am not so sure now.....
:rolleyes:

every single program i applied to downloaded my photo on the first day they downloaded my CAF and other available information. not sure why a program would reject applicants based on a photo, unless we're talking about Derm and Plastics.

Well here is the information from ERAS regarding the photograph...

Photograph - See http://www.ecfmg.org/eras/index.html#photo

Photograph
Is a photograph mandatory?
If you do not want to send a photograph, you do not have to. However, if you want your application to be complete, send a photograph.
This may help you decide whether to send a photo:
The program directors cannot access your photograph until after they have included you in their list of applicants to be invited for an interview.
What kind of photograph should I send?
Please submit one (1) color photo (the kind you would use for a passport or driving license) approximately 2.5 in x 3.5 in (6.5 cm x 9 cm).
If you send a larger picture, the scanner will remove the excess at the top and right sides.
A smaller photo is OK, although not all of the space allowed for the photo will be utilized.
If you do not have a color photo, a black and white photo is acceptable.
For the exact specifications of the photograph, access the AAMC's ERAS website at www.aamc.org/students/eras/start.htm.
To prevent the small picture from getting stuck in an envelope and overlooked, please staple it to a larger piece of paper. Be sure to indicate your AAMC ID or USMLE/ECFMG Identification Number and name on the back of the photo, not on a separate piece of paper. If the photo gets separated from your other documents and we cannot identify it, we must discard it. You should also complete an ERAS Document Submission Form and send it with the photo.
Suggestion: Do not send a picture of yourself in a picnic setting or at a patient's bedside. Take the time to have a nice new picture taken for this purpose.

So this is what ERAS states regarding the photograph.

I had this question last year when a program i was interested in downloaded my picture and then rejected me. I was told by the program that they can download it but not 'look' at it. This was confirmed by my deans office that the pic can be downloaded and the program just has to say they didn't look at it. I think it is all a bunch of crap because who is going to download something and not look at it? No one! Just one more way for programs to bend the rules. :mad:

Pingu said:
I had this question last year when a program i was interested in downloaded my picture and then rejected me. I was told by the program that they can download it but not 'look' at it. This was confirmed by my deans office that the pic can be downloaded and the program just has to say they didn't look at it. I think it is all a bunch of crap because who is going to download something and not look at it? No one! Just one more way for programs to bend the rules. :mad:

well, i think this falls under the lines of, if they are going to reject one because of how they look, then that person probably wouldn't want to be there anyways!

Whether or not programs show discrimination by offering interviews based on head shots (which I really doubt), you're still gonna have to eventually show your face at the interview, and if their bias really exists, it would play out there too, so I don't see what the big fuss is about.

Just my opinion, but you should WANT them to see your picture, then see you at the interview, then see your picture again....the more they see it, the better you are remembered, the better chance you have of standing out positively.....that is, of course, unless you're ridiculously ugly I guess. :eek: