Experience with changing practice location within same organization

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stevesteve123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience switching practice location within the same healthcare network? bread and butter outpatient primary care

For example you signed a contract for a position that was ideal, with exception for a far commute. But a position at a different clinic closer to home opens up a few years later (hypothetically).

I discussed possibility for location transfer with the chief medical director at initial interview and response was that "they generally don't let physicians do that" without much details

Is it really more hassle for the organization to potentially lose a doc and also at the same time hiring someone new vs internal transfer? I don't quite get the rationale behind that

Members don't see this ad.

It may cause a curfuffle at the current clinic, but word on the street in my organization is that so long as you generate RVUs for them they don't care where you are.

The RVUs must flow.

Have you made it clear that the alternative is for you to find a job with another health system, and not to stay in your current role/location?

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone have experience switching practice location within the same healthcare network? bread and butter outpatient primary care

For example you signed a contract for a position that was ideal, with exception for a far commute. But a position at a different clinic closer to home opens up a few years later (hypothetically).

I discussed possibility for location transfer with the chief medical director at initial interview and response was that "they generally don't let physicians do that" without much details

Is it really more hassle for the organization to potentially lose a doc and also at the same time hiring someone new vs internal transfer? I don't quite get the rationale behind that
We have providers change locations where I work quite a bit here in urgent care. The issue with that is that the staff generally doesn't move with you so if you have great staff then you lose that if you change locations.