Forensic psychiatry fellowship 2024-2025 Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

randomforensic

Reaction score
CAP does one, why shouldn't we? Anyone else applying?

From the ADFPF guidelines:
  • May 1, 2024: First day that programs can review applications and/or contact applicants
    to schedule interviews.
  • August 1, 2024: First day that programs can conduct interviews.
  • September 16, 2024: First day that programs can offer positions to candidates.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
So if you’re interviewing in August, you’re talking only to fellows who’ve been in the program a few weeks? Do they have the fellows who graduated the previous year join at some point?

Programs start reviewing in May? Do most residents apply during the end of PGY4 then?

Members don't see this ad :)
So if you’re interviewing in August, you’re talking only to fellows who’ve been in the program a few weeks? Do they have the fellows who graduated the previous year join at some point?
I don't think we meet with fellows (current or past) during the scheduled interviews (virtual). I'm sure if the fellows aren't listed on the program's website, the PD should be able to provide that information for applicants.

I don't think we meet with fellows (current or past) during the scheduled interviews (virtual). I'm sure if the fellows aren't listed on the program's website, the PD should be able to provide that information for applicants.
That would be very strange and a definite red flag if you’re not meeting with any fellows.

Is there a good thread available that talks about the strengths of various programs?
Forensics is a small field so there are only a handful of regular posters on this forum and they really only know their own programs. However, there are a ton of threads in the past discussing what they recommend people look for in a fellowship program. Here is a great one to start with.

Reactions: 1 user
Forensics is a small field so there are only a handful of regular posters on this forum and they really only know their own programs. However, there are a ton of threads in the past discussing what they recommend people look for in a fellowship program. Here is a great one to start with.
Thank you! That was helpful. I'm trying to compare Case vs UC Davis vs SUNY Upstate vs OHSU. So far, the main difference I see between Case and Davis are the lack of training in psychological testing instruments at Case. Not sure if this is something that would be hurtful in the future or if I could get trained later on them.

Thank you! That was helpful. I'm trying to compare Case vs UC Davis vs SUNY Upstate vs OHSU. So far, the main difference I see between Case and Davis are the lack of training in psychological testing instruments at Case. Not sure if this is something that would be hurtful in the future or if I could get trained later on them.
I'm not sure how true this is today. Historically, most programs focused on clinical assessment of malingering and clinical risk assessment. Over time, there is more emphasis on assessment of malingering with symptom and performance validity measures and risk assessment with structured risk assessment instruments. That is probably what you are referring to re: "psychological testing". Today, knowledge of these instruments is required for the boards and ACGME accreditation. Of course, there is still a wide difference in how much you will use these things are different programs. That said, most forensic psychiatrists (even charles scott) will use psychologists to do psychological testing in important cases. You do need to be familiar with their use and abuse however.

You want to get the broadest training possible, but remember fellowship is only one yr. I've mentioned before, I didn't do any insanity evaluations in fellowships but have done multiple since. Similarly, I didn't get formal training in sex offender SRAIs during fellowship but did training in the Static 99R and ACUTE and STABLE later on. You want to make sure you get the basics which include experience with testimony, report preparation, learning from multiple different psychiatrists, understanding basic legal principles as apply to psychiatry, relevant case law, and an understanding of the principles of different forensic evaluations including criminal competency, criminal responsibility, risk assessment, malingering, civil competencies, psychiatric disability and personal injury writ large. You will not have the opportunity to do every kind of evaluation, but you want to still have exposure to them through learning about these cases and approach to different kinds of evaluation through supervision, case conferences, and didactics etc.

Reactions: 1 users
As a fairly recent applicant, I have some tips as well:

Forensics isn’t very competitive. If you want bigger forensic programs definitely takes more work on your CV showing that forensic interest. Additionally, attending AAPL gives you an opportunity to network and talk to both PDs and current fellows to get an idea.

I think a safe number of applications is 5-6.

Make sure your CV and application materials are flawless.

Majority of them won’t reach out to you until end of July even August.

The match process is a headache. Stay in touch with your number one and pretty much send them a strong statement on the “match day” so they don’t forget about you (I’m not joking)
Seems like they prefer extending an offer to an interested applicant that they know won’t leave them hanging.
Main issue is that if they extend an offer, they can’t pressure an answer (and if you decide to say no a couple of weeks later, they might go unfilled)
Those are all amazing programs with amazing mentors. I don’t think you could go wrong with any of these but, also remember certain places might offer more niche opportunities.

At the end of the day, a year won’t be enough to see and do everything. So, you want to make sure you have lasting mentorship and as broad experience as you can get.

Interview with them and see what they offer. I personally liked all of them during the interview process and might add Michigan, U of Colorado and Emory as great programs to check out.

Last edited:
Are winners the only ones notified (ie do people get notified regardless)?
They'll probably notify the winners first but all applicants will be notified. If you don't win, you'll still be paired with a forensic mentor. It is quite competitive as far as psych resident awards go - there's about a 15% chance of getting it.