Getting a rec from head of research project instead of PI?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

podc

Reaction score
I've been working on a long-term project in my lab where I mostly interact with the head of the project. I talk directly to my PI maybe three times a year so I was thinking about getting a rec from the project head instead of my PI. Is this normal/won't raise any eyebrows? I'm having a little trouble deciding because when I joined this lab my PI specifically said he'd be willing to write a rec when I apply to med school. I know more specific recs normally beat out generic recs, but do med schools have a bias in wanting to see PI recs?

Members don't see this ad.

Unfortunately I think it would look weird. There's a lot more weight from a letter from a PI/doctor. That being said, it is pretty common for PIs to ask your mentor what should be included on your letter. If you feel comfortable, you could ask your mentor if they would anticipate being able to help your PI write a letter.

Your scenario isn't uncommon, so don't freak out. You can either have your project manager write the letter and have your PI sign it, or have your project manager tell your PI what to include. Either way, it 100% needs to be your PI's name on the letter.

If it makes you feel better I've gotten into 5 schools (DO, but I also have 7 MD II's) so far this cycle and I didn't even have a LOR from my PI.