How about USF in Tampa/St Petersburg??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

the1theonly

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do you guys think of this program? Can any current residents comment on program or life in the area ??

Thanks so much.

T1TO

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there. I am only going to speak on my interview day experience. We (I and one female) were there on the first day of interviews- so just with the two of us, we had a lot of one on one attention :)

The residents are split between a fantastic, well-equipped hospital in beautiful St Pete, FL and the county hospital in Tampa- also right by the water of Tampa Bay. You get the tertiary experience at All Children's and the 'do the IV yourself if you want it THAT quick' experience at Tampa General. Almost all were from the southeast U.S. and a few international grads. They had a few fail the boards- chalking it to mainly english language barriers and lack of preparation. They now have a boards review course (as does most of the country, it seems). Residents mostly knew each other and seemed moderately worked but cheerful. The 'southern hospitality' was brought into this Florida program by some residents, with lots of in-house gatherings. Grower number doing subspecialty, getting solid fellowships. Some moonlighting available... speaking of which, I need to ask a few of my top choices if they allow that!

Minimal community involvement, research, advocacy, international experiences . These points and the fact that I'm not down with returning to Florida place it bottom of my rank.

best wishes to all!

the1theonly said:
What do you guys think of this program? Can any current residents comment on program or life in the area ??

Thanks so much.

T1TO