Looking for advice on school list. Also a wamc for this cycle based on new activities.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Riceisyummy

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello.

My cycle this year is pretty much over as I am on 2 texas md waitlists. This cycle I got 3 interviews from Baylor, UTSW, and Mcgovern.

To improve, I gained some extra clinical hours to learn more about what medicine entails and better develop my motivations to enter medicine. I also tried to get out of my comfort zone and pursue my passions and gain some life experience outside of academic/college connected activities. There is more detail on the activities further down in this post.

So was wondering if yall could judge my school list for my reapplication cycle. My tmdsas SGPA is a 3.74. My amcas and aacomas SGPA is a 3.69. My mcat is a 520. Major is evolution and ecology. I am a texas resident with very strong ties to Michigan (was born there and graduated high school there). Went to a T20 undergrad. I am ORM and grew up comfortably with parents who are college graduates.

Potential red flags.

Transcript is kinda ugly. 5 credit hours of C grades my last semester in science classes. 1 pass grades in one non prereq science class and 2 passes in 2 non prereq non science. Loved my major and felt very passionate about it but maybe adcoms view evolution classes as gpa boosting fluff. I also have 22 credits of research credit which counts towards sgpa which adcoms may view as fluff.

Last Cycle Activities

(had 3 interviews from utsw, Baylor and mcgovern)

900 hours americorps volunteering teaching underserved students. Was math department head

600 hours volunteering at a psychiatric unit where i helped comfort and provide company to patients with substance use disorders, schizophrenia, bipolar disorder.

100 hours providing companionship to those with intelectual disabilities.

50 hours shadowing

1000 hours of plant research with one second author review publication in a journal with an impact factor of 4. promoted to research coordinator my last semester.

600 hours on the club rowing team in college. Won medals at several state level races. was novice captain last semester.

Activities I did this gap year

Friend from college started a environmental startup. Joined her and created a non profit wing that had measurable impact in community. Planning on counting as community engagement/volunteering since i did not make a dime from the non profit.

Started a med tech company that created a product which is now implemented in some hospitals. Inspiration came from psych unit volunteering.

200 additional hours in psych unit volunteering

200 hours paid scribing

100 hours volunteering by fostering cats from animal shelter.

School list

All the DO and MD texas schools except UT tyler.

MD OOS

Tulane
Oakland
CMU
MSU
Wayne
TCU
Creighton
Boston University

DO OOS

Campbell
AZCOM
ACOM
Touro nevada
KCU kansas city
KCU Joplin
Rocky Vista colorado
Edward Auburn
Edward Carolina
DMU
ARCOM
MSU

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Huh. I don't see any obvious red flags from your application the first go around. A couple of questions:
-Can you give us a breakdown (to the best of your ability) for sGPA and cGPA by year?
-When did you submit your primary and secondaries?
-How did you feel about your writing? Your LORs?

Reactions: 1 user
Huh. I don't see any obvious red flags from your application the first go around. A couple of questions:
-Can you give us a breakdown (to the best of your ability) for sGPA and cGPA by year?
-When did you submit your primary and secondaries?
-How did you feel about your writing? Your LORs?
sgpa and cgpa was high 3.7s low 3.8s for all semesters except the last one my senior year

i submitted my tmdsas early june, tmdsas secondaries were complete by late july. but my letters didn’t come in until august 12th.

For amcas i was complete at all schools by mid august

My lors were good. one of my interviews told me that and the premed advisor said the same.

I think my writing was alright. could have done a better job explaining why i wanted to be a doctor in my primary. i can send a copy of my primary

Members don't see this ad :)
sgpa and cgpa was high 3.7s low 3.8s for all semesters except the last one my senior year

i submitted my tmdsas early june, tmdsas secondaries were complete by late july. but my letters didn’t come in until august 12th.

For amcas i was complete at all schools by mid august

My lors were good. one of my interviews told me that and the premed advisor said the same.

I think my writing was alright. could have done a better job explaining why i wanted to be a doctor in my primary. i can send a copy of my primary
In that case, maybe share your primary with one of the primary app readers in that thread.

mcgovern may move for you stay hopeful but prep for reapp

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
mcgovern may move for you stay hopeful but prep for reapp
Don’t worry. I already got all my new letters for this cycle.

And I have semi final drafts for all my essays and activities. Just going to have one more person look over it and fix and submit.

Im way more prepared this cycle than last :)

Thank you for the kind and hopeful words

Did you apply to all those schools this past cycle? No interest from TCOM or the non-TMDSAS DO schools?

Did you apply to all those schools this past cycle? No interest from TCOM or the non-TMDSAS DO schools?
Last cycle I did not apply to any DO schools.

Just 8 tmdsas schools and 12 MD schools out of state.

Last cycle I did not apply to any DO schools.

Just 8 tmdsas schools and 12 MD schools out of state.
OOS MD schools typically expect TX residents to stay in TX due to the cheaper in-state tuition. You have a high MCAT score, so a few may be worth trying if they think they can offer something significant. Only apply to CMU if you graduated high school in their region of Michigan. Do not reapply to the same OOS schools either.

Work on interview skills since you did get 3 beforehand. Be sure to list out 50 hours of shadowing in one slot on AMCAS/TMDSAS. You can subtract some from your scribing hours if needed.

I suggest:

All TMDSAS schools (including TCOM and Sam Houston)
TCU
Tulane
Michigan
WUSTL
Vanderbilt
Emory
Boston
UVA
Mayo
Miami

You should not need OOS DO schools, but can try some of the most established ones if you'd like (TCOM would still be a better option over these imo):

PCOM
Oklahoma State
DMU
ACOM
Touro NV
KCU