Rabies Pre-Exposure Vaccine NYC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pyj991123

Reaction score
Hi all,

As many of you are aware - vet schools require you to get rabies vaccine prior to enrollment.
Do you know where to get them in the NYC? I know that travel clinics also offer rabies vaccine but that is my very last option as they do not work with insurance companies, meaning that there is a zero chance of getting the cost covered.

Are pharmacies such as Walgreens and CVS a good option? Or do large hospitals (such as Mount Sinai) offer rabies vaccine as well? And would health insurance companies cover the costs for the vaccines?

Thanks for your help! This is quite a hassle unfortunately :(

Members don't see this ad.

No clue about NYC.

My school offered the rabies vaccine through the on-campus clinic for veterinary students. It was at no cost if you had the graduate student insurance. It was only around $200 more than paying for the vaccines out of pocket, so that's what I went with and it worked out well for when I also got sick.

Several of my classmates with third party insurance were told they would not be covered at the campus clinic but got it there anyway. I believe it was about $900 for the 3 shot series (in 2020).

There were a few classmates that were told by their insurance that the rabies vaccines weren't covered. They ended up getting it from a Walgreens/CVS and the pharmacist submitted it to their insurance anyway. They never ended up with a bill for it, but I can't tell you what the pharmacist did to make that happen.

Reactions: 1 users
If you're trying to get it before school you'll likely have to call around, a pharmacy may have to special order it for you since many do not routinely carry it

Members don't see this ad :)
Call your health insurance too to see if it would be covered in the first place. depending on how helpful whoever is answering they could also help you find a provider that carries them

Reactions: 2 users
Call your health insurance too to see if it would be covered in the first place. depending on how helpful whoever is answering they could also help you find a provider that carries them
Unfortunately my plan does not cover it.

I guess it is fine tho, as I am due to get my vaccine abroad and my school is fine with that

There were a few classmates that were told by their insurance that the rabies vaccines weren't covered. They ended up getting it from a Walgreens/CVS and the pharmacist submitted it to their insurance anyway. They never ended up with a bill for it, but I can't tell you what the pharmacist did to make that happen.
Yes! At your doctor, the vaccine is billed to your medical insurance, whereas at the pharmacy it is billed to your pharmaceutical insurance, which, for most health insurance plans are actually run entirely separately even though you only have one health insurance plan/card. (yay America!) Depending on how your insurance works, it might be covered one way and not the other, and copays can also be different. I got mine at the pharmacy without a problem, but it was convoluted to figure out if it would be covered and at what price at my doctors office. At the pharmacy it's treated like any other prescription and they can check coverage and give you a price on the spot, which seems to never be how it works at the doctors office. I did have to call the county health department first to figure out which local pharmacies carried it. They said Walgreens and Safeway/Albertsons were good places to ask. I did have a copay though of $300 for the whole series.

Last edited:
Back in 2017 in Ga with Blue Cross, it was free at Walgreens. I think my primary care doctor just called it in as a prescription.

Back in 2017 in Ga with Blue Cross, it was free at Walgreens. I think my primary care doctor just called it in as a prescription.
In my state, a pharmacist can prescribe it as well! Not sure about everywhere.