Should I add anything for my ECs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chickenloverr5

Reaction score
deleted

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The nonclinical volunteering is heavily laden with club work. Get off campus and out of your comfort zone.

Exactly what did you do in the overseas trip?

Sorry I forgot to add that i’ve been volunteering at a soup kitchen since December, it’s not that many hours but it’s been a great experience. I helped build a bathroom and shower at an elementary school that’s used by all the residence in a small village. I also worked with the students to teach proper hygiene.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't exactly understand the question about "adding anything." It's unlike a dish where you need more salt or spice on your profile. Yes, you need an activity off-campus if you can, but without more details, the descriptions all sound generic. Again, it's your choice to give us details, but we can't read your mind to give you advice if you need anything extra. It just sounds like box-checking.

What I think you are missing is reaching out to the schools. Have you found mentors to give you confidence in becoming a physician? If you are with BSU, have you connected with SNMA or any mentoring organization for aspiring Black physicians?

Reactions: 1 users
I don't exactly understand the question about "adding anything." It's unlike a dish where you need more salt or spice on your profile. Yes, you need an activity off-campus if you can, but without more details, the descriptions all sound generic. Again, it's your choice to give us details, but we can't read your mind to give you advice if you need anything extra. It just sounds like box-checking.

What I think you are missing is reaching out to the schools. Have you found mentors to give you confidence in becoming a physician? If you are with BSU, have you connected with SNMA or any mentoring organization for aspiring Black physicians?

Thank you! I edited my post to hopefully add more context to my activities. What I meant was that i’ve heard some screen for applicants not having certain things such as volunteering, research, etc. My gpa is already a big problem on my app so I want to make sure my ECs are also not a problem area. I haven’t been able to find mentors. My undergrad doesn’t have a pre-med committee so most of the students are on their own to figure out applications. I will make sure to contact SNMA! Thank you for all of your help!

Reactions: 1 users