WAMC / School List Check (CA ORM 515 / 3.84)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tameimpaler

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Where in California did you grow up?

What is your purpose as a physician? Why should any of the schools you list want to interview you?
I grew up in SoCal. As for my goals as a physician -- aside from the obvious being to care for sick people -- I'm also very interested in social justice in medicine and health literacy. Many of my patient interactions made me realize how important it is that physicians are conscious of SDOH and I'd like to pursue that further through research and community programs. I came to care about these issues through several of the activities I did, and believe I can convey that in my writing. I would hope this speaks to programs that place an emphasis on health equity and addressing barriers to care.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I grew up in SoCal. As for my goals as a physician -- aside from the obvious being to care for sick people -- I'm also very interested in social justice in medicine and health literacy. Many of my patient interactions made me realize how important it is that physicians are conscious of SDOH and I'd like to pursue that further through research and community programs. I came to care about these issues through several of the activities I did, and believe I can convey that in my writing. I would hope this speaks to programs that place an emphasis on health equity and addressing barriers to care.
California medical schools have many programs that appeal to applicants who want to pursue a health professional/medical career with an increased focus on serving various underserved communities. Have you looked up the PRIME programs? Since you come from a low SES background, having strong mentors is vital to your ultimate success (not just applying but graduating). Look for similar tracks at OOS schools, but understand the offerings or size may not be as robust (but this is just based on my marketing perception).

California medical schools have many programs that appeal to applicants who want to pursue a health professional/medical career with an increased focus on serving various underserved communities. Have you looked up the PRIME programs? Since you come from a low SES background, having strong mentors is vital to your ultimate success (not just applying but graduating). Look for similar tracks at OOS schools, but understand the offerings or size may not be as robust (but this is just based on my marketing perception).
I've heard of the UC PRIME programs but haven't done enough research to be familiar with them yet. I'll look into it, thank you!